DISCLAIMER

The ideas and thoughts expressed within this blog are not the views or opinions of WorldTeach nor the Namibia Ministry of Education, but rather my personal views.

Monday, May 25, 2009

Just got Paid…Friday Night

Well, it was actually last Friday and it wasn’t very much of a paycheck. It was, though, still more than $1 billion Zim dollars (read “I’m a Billionaire” post).

I am a full-time volunteer. As such, my pay should not be likened to a real salary, but a sustainable living stipend. I make less than $400 US per month and I’d been here for over four months before receiving my first allowance.

Despite my dramatic “pay cut,” my super-delayed pay-day, and my continued delay in pay, life has been manageable because I receive other types of assistance from the government (AND I came with my own money). As I may have mentioned before, I do not really have any steady bills here and I did not come to Namibia with any type or amount of outstanding debt (credit card, loans, etc). I also lead a fairly simple life.

As a WorldTeach Volunteer, my house is provided by the Ministry of Education, which also pays for the utilities. In addition, I receive phone allowances from the Ministry of Education, which help me manage my work responsibilities. I have a monthly allowance for my office phone and monthly credit is provided for my mobile phone. Such allowances are not available to all Volunteers; but, the government recognizes them as critical to my project.

I have recently added a few additional expenses. Last month, my housemate bought a satellite dish and had it installed. We agreed to share the monthly cable bill, which amounts to about $15 US each. It’s not a bad deal; but, I do find myself watching wwaaaayyyyyy too much television. (and now I’m confused about why Adam did not win on American Idol).

I had to wait four months before receiving my first check, but during my recent time in Windhoek, I was able to speak with the right people. They took care of the problem and I should be all caught-up with my due stipends soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment